Occupational Therapy (MOT)
Department of Occupational Therapy
School of Health Professions
801B Clark Hall, Columbia, MO 65211
(573) 882-3988; FAX (573) 884-2610
The department will offer a 2-year post-baccalaureate entry professional program accepting applications July-January with coursework beginning the following Summer. Applicants will need to have a bachelor's degree by the start of the Summer semester that they would begin coursework.
Professional courses are only offered to students enrolled in the program. The degree program is approved to meet accreditation requirements. Contact the Department of Occupational Therapy for more information regarding the degree.
Accreditation & Certification
The Department of Occupational Therapy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association, 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD, 20814-3449, (301) 652-2682.
Graduates are eligible to sit for the national certification examination administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT), Inc. 12 South Summit Ave., Suite 100, Gaithersburg, MD 20877-4150, telephone (301) 990-7979; Fax (301) 869-8492.
Financial Aid from the Program
Check the School of Health Professions website at https://healthprofessions.missouri.edu/student-services/scholarships/ for scholarship information.
Requirements for Masters Degree in Occupational Therapy
The Department of Occupational Therapy offers the Master of Occupational Therapy degree as the terminal degree of the program. All students must complete the prerequisite courses and meet the admission requirements to apply. Prospective students will apply for entry into the program during their final year of undergraduate coursework or after they have completed a baccalaureate degree. However, in either case a baccalaureate degree must be completed prior to beginning coursework during the following summer semester. The masters degree is required to become certified and licensed to practice as an Occupational Therapist.
Bethany Kendrick, Student Support Specialist II
801B Clark Hall; Columbia, MO 65211
Application window for program beginning coursework in Summer 2019 opens July 2018, with an application deadline of January 15, 2019. Applications are viewed on a rolling basis and admission offers may be made at any point during or after the application window.
- Minimum GPA: cumulative 3.0 or higher (4.0=A)
- Minimum TOEFL scores: (must have been completed in the last two years)
Minimum English Proficiency Requirements
|Internet-based test (iBT)||Paper-based test (PBT)|
|Total Score: 100, Reading: 20, Listening: 21, Speaking: 26, Writing: 17||Total Score: 600, Reading: 55, Listening: 55, Speaking: N/A, Writing: 55|
- Completion of all prerequisites at a grade of B- or better
- 20 hours of observation with a licensed Occupational Therapist
- Completion of all required application materials
- Acceptance to program: The Department of Occupational Therapy admits a cohort of 44 students each year.
Required Application Materials
- Go to https://healthprofessions.missouri.edu/occupational-therapy/about/admissions/ for departmental application forms (available July - Jan. 15)
- All applications will be submitted through the Occupational Therapy Centralized Application System (OTCAS)
- Observation Forms and supplemental fee