PhD in Chemistry
Admission Contact Information
Jerry Brightwell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Columbia, MO 65211
Fall deadline: February 1
Spring deadline: October 15
- Minimum TOEFL scores:
|Internet-based test (iBT)||Paper-based test (PBT)|
- Minimum GRE scores:
|When did you take the GRE?||Verbal||Quantitative||Analytical|
|Prior to August 1, 2011||450||600||3.0-4.0|
|On or After August 1, 2011||150||150||3.0-4.0|
Required Application Materials
To the Graduate School:
- All required Graduate School documents
To the Chemistry Program:
- Departmental Application (PDF)
- GRE scores
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from each college and university you have attended
- Statement of Purpose, which should include a summary of why you are interested in pursuing an advanced chemistry degree, a brief description of your previous research experiences, the specific area of chemistry you are interested in pursuing, and your future career goals and plans in the chemistry field.
Financial Aid from the Program
Some programs require an extra form or statement from those who wish to be considered for internal assistantships, fellowships or other funding packages. Check the program website or ask the program contact for details.
Doctoral Degree Requirements
The following is a brief synopsis of the general degree requirements; please see the Department of Chemistry website for complete details:
- Students must take at least 5 8000-level courses outside their own research concentration.
- Students must pass 5 written cumulative exams within a specific time frame.
- Students must present at least one departmental seminar.
- Students are required to complete a comprehensive exam, which includes written and oral elements, within a specific time frame.
- Students must submit and defend a dissertation describing the results of successful and original research in one of the branches of chemistry.