MST in Mathematics
Admission Contact Information
Stephen Montgomery-Smith, Director of Graduate Studies
222 Mathematical Sciences Building
Columbia, MO 65211
Notes: Applicants for any graduate degree in mathematics should submit an application for graduate study. Admission to the graduate program does NOT guarantee admission to the Ph.D. program. International Applicants applying from outside North America who seek financial support from the Department will only be considered for the PhD program.
Fall deadline: January 15
- While a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required, the undergraduate major need not be mathematics as long as applicants have had sufficient mathematics training to qualify for 8000-level courses during the first three semesters of graduate work.
- Minimum TOEFL scores:
|Internet-based test (iBT)||Paper-based test (PBT)|
Important Notes: International applicants seeking departmental support are required to have a minimum TOEFL score of 85 (Internet-based test) or equivalent. An ibtTOEFL Speaking subscore of 22 or higher is preferred.
- Minimum total academic IELTS score is 5.5
Required Application Materials
- 3 or more letters of recommendation from your professors or persons who assess in detail your academic performance and potential.
- Personal Statement
- GRE scores (required for PhD application, strongly recommended for Masters application)
- TOEFL or IELTS (International students only)
- Note: The application is submitted through the Office of Graduate Studies' ApplyYourself system. This includes the online credit card payment $55.00 US for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents, $75.00 US for Non-Resident International applicants.
Completing the ApplyYourself Application:
The application consists of four subsections.
- Personal Information: Complete all information as requested.
- Application Information: Applications are considered only starting Fall Semester, and only for Full-time study. Select a degree from the Graduate Degrees offered by the MU Mathematics Department.
- Indicate your selection for the Mathematics Master of Science for Teachers (MST).
- Admissions Category: Graduate Degree Sought at MU: Master's.
- Graduate Program to which you are seeking admissions: Mathematics Master of Science for Teachers (MST).
- Educational History: Complete all information as requested.
- Test Information:
- The GRE General Test is required for application to the PhD program in Mathematics, and are strongly recommended for Masters applicants. GRE General Test scores sent directly from the ETS will be considered as part of an application if available. The GRE Subject Test is not required, will be considered if submitted.
- MU's Institutional Code for the GRE is: 6875.
- MU's Institutional Code for the TOEFL is: 6875.
- (required) Upload your Personal Statement, Statement of Goals or Statement of Purpose.
- Please indicate the specific degree for which you are applying, any additional degrees for which you may later apply, and explain your reasons for choosing to pursue these degrees at the University of Missouri. Note that admissions criteria for the PhD are more stringent than for the Master's. MU PhD students can later add a Master's degree to their program of study without requiring departmental approval. MU Master's students who wish to later add the PhD to their program of study require departmental evaluation and approval.
- (optional) Upload your résumé or curriculum vita.
- (optional) Upload your writing sample.
- You may submit samples of your mathematical writings, publications, or pre-prints. Please limit to 10 pages.
- (optional) Upload any other supporting documents.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts uploaded by applicant can be used for initial evaluation- official transcripts sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Office will still be required to finalize admission.
- Unofficial copies of GRE reports uploaded by applicant can be used for initial evaluation.
RECOMMENDATIONS: The ApplyYourself system will let you request confidential online recommendation letters from your recommendation providers. You need to provide the names and email addresses of recommendation providers who have agreed in advance to write letters for you. The Mathematics Department application requires at least three recommendation letters from your professors (or persons who assess in detail your academic performance and potential).
MST Degree Completion Requirements
This degree is designed primarily for those who want to teach mathematics at the secondary school level. A candidate for the degree must have a valid teaching certificate before entering the program and must satisfactorily complete 30 hours of approved course work. MATH 8190 or MATH 8090 is required. At least 15 hours must be in 8000-level courses, of which at least 9 hours must be courses from the Mathematics Department. At least two courses are required in the fields of algebra, analysis and geometry/topology. The successful completion of a Master’s Project (MATH 8190) or Master’s Thesis (MATH 8090) must be certified by a Master’s Committee consisting of three members of the Mathematics regular faculty.
Note: The MU College of Education at the University of Missouri is a separate academic unit offering graduate degrees in Mathematics Education, with an emphasis on learning, teaching, and curriculum development.