Minor in Human Development and Family Science

Undergraduate students interested in obtaining a minor in HDFS should fill out the online application, located on the College of Human Environmental Sciences website.

Students must meet the minor requirements in place at the time of application, thus the application should be submitted when they begin taking courses for the minor in HDFS, and before all of the required courses are complete.

Students must earn a grade of C (2.0) in all HDFS courses taken to meet the HDFS Minor requirements – no exceptionsSatisfactory/unsatisfactory (pass/fail) graded courses will not be accepted.


To earn a minor in HDFS, an undergraduate student must successfully complete 15-16 credit hours of coursework, as indicated in the two groups listed below.

H_D_FS 1600Foundations of Family Science3
H_D_FS 2300Multicultural Study of Children and Families3
H_D_FS 2400Principles of Human Development3
or H_D_FS 2400H Principles of Human Development - Honors
or H_D_FS 2400HW Principles of Human Development - Honors/Writing Intensive
or H_D_FS 2400W Principles of Human Development - Writing Intensive
ELECTIVES - choose two courses from the list below
H_D_FS 1610Intimate Relationships and Marriage3
H_D_FS 3050Child Development: Birth to 3 (Infant/Toddler)3
H_D_FS 3150WChild Development 4-8 (Early Childhood) - Writing Intensive3
H_D_FS 3430Adolescence and Young Adulthood3
H_D_FS 3440Adulthood and Aging3
H_D_FS 4610Stress and Resilience in Families3
H_D_FS 4620Family Interaction3
H_D_FS 4630The Process of Divorce3
H_D_FS 4640Interpersonal Relationships3
H_D_FS 4700Children and Families in Poverty3
H_D_FS 4740Parent-Child Relations Over the Life Course3
Total Credits 6

Some courses on this list may require specific pre-requisites and/or instructor consent. Please see the Enrollment Information and Course Description in myZou for more information.  Questions and enrollment permission requests should be directed to the HDFS Minor Advisor.

A total of 6 hours of transfer credit from other colleges or universities outside of the University of Missouri – Columbia will be accepted for the minor in HDFS, provided the transfer courses are a direct equivalent to MU HDFS courses.

A minor must be completed and awarded at the same time as the MU undergraduate degree (i.e., minors cannot be claimed after graduation). Once an HDFS minor is awarded, a student cannot return to MU to complete a second undergraduate major in HDFS.

Students cannot earn a major and a minor in HDFS.