MS in Academic Medicine
The program has two options for study: Teaching/Administration and Research. The program requires completion of a minimum of 30 course hours with a grade of 3.0 (B) or better. Courses in the Master's degree are:
|F_C_MD 8422||Clinical Research Methods I||3|
|STAT 7020||Statistical Methods in the Health Sciences||3|
|F_C_MD 8423||Clinical Research Methods II||3|
|F_C_MD 8420||Principles of Epidemiology||3|
|F_C_MD 8410||Principles and Practices in Medical Education||3|
|F_C_MD 8430||Applications of Evidence-Based Medicine I||3|
|F_C_MD 7310||The Health Care System||3|
|F_C_MD 8491||Field Experience in Family and Community Medicine||1-6|
|F_C_MD 8450||Research in Community Health||1-99|
In addition there are a number of online elective courses that may be substituted upon approval of the faculty advisor.
Admission Contact Information
Juliet Bedell, Bedelljc@health.missouri.edu, 573-884-2912
University of Missouri, School of Medicine
Department of Family and Community Medicine
MA303 Medical Sciences Building
Columbia, MO 65212
The Department of Family and Community Medicine has responsibilities for teaching, research and service activities covering the spectrum from primary medical care to community medicine. This graduate degree program is designed to prepare primary care physicians to work in an academic setting as faculty members with responsibilities for patient care, teaching, research, and scholarly endeavors. Applicants must be graduates of an accredited medical school, U.S. citizens or permanent residents and licensed to practice in a primary care specialty.
This program accepts rolling admissions, so you can apply at any time. We recommend you submit your application at least six weeks before the beginning of the term in which you wish to start your course work.
- Board-certified or board-eligible physicians who have already received MD, DO, MBBS or equivalent degrees may apply. Typically, physicians have completed residency training in their primary specialty prior to enrollment, but current residents may apply with the permission of their program director.
- Physicians in clinical or academic fellowship programs (or both) are also welcome to apply. Prospective students with other doctoral and graduate degrees will also be considered.
- If English is not your native language, please submit a TOEFL score of at least 80 (internet-based test) or an IELTS score of at least 6.5
- This program accepts rolling admissions, so you can apply at any time. We recommend you submit your application at least six weeks before the beginning of the term in which you wish to start your course work.
Required Application Materials
Submit the following via the online application:
- Transcripts of all previous college or university education. Upload unofficial transcripts in your online application. If you are accepted, you will be asked to provide official transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation. In the online application, you will need to supply names and contact details of two professionals who can attest to your critical thinking, analytical and writing skills, demonstrating your potential as a graduate student and professional
- Personal statement of research goals and interests
- Curriculum vitae or résumé
- Verification from residency program or other relevant post-graduate training
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports for applicants whose native language is not English
- A personal phone interview
Carefully follow the instructions on the Graduate Studies application site.
- Upload the above documents in the online application site. Use the following information to complete your application:
- Application type: Master’s Program
- Degree/Delivery: Masters- Distance (Online/Remote Site/etc.)
- Academic Program: Academic Medicine-Distance (MS)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Institution Code 6875 (if applicable)
Financial Aid from the Program
Some programs require an extra form or statement from those who wish to be considered for internal assistantships, fellowships or other funding packages. Check the program Web site or ask the program contact for details.