MS in Data Science and Analytics with Emphasis in Strategic Communications and Data Journalism
In addition to the core program objectives, graduates of the Masters of Science in Data Science and Analytics who pursue the Strategic Communication and Data Journalism emphasis area will achieve the following educational objectives:
- Students will have in-depth capabilities and understanding of big data management, including gathering and interpreting customer and viewer behavior patterns and developing strategies to enhance marketing objectives for organizations and clients.
- Students will have highly marketable skills in analyzing media markets and will be able to develop sophisticated methodologies to optimize usage of apps, social networks, and other technologies for media businesses and brands.
- Students will be able to apply their analytic skills to understanding and optimizing patterns of search, programmatic advertising buying and behavioral targeting.
- Students will have a deep understanding of issues of privacy and ethics in obtaining and utilizing data from a broad range of sources.
- Students will be able to obtain and analyze publicly available data in a variety of structured and unstructured formats. As such, they will develop an understanding of open-records laws and how to effectively use them.
- Students will develop the skills necessary to work as a data journalist for a news organization.
- As data journalism and data science /analytics are constantly evolving, students will develop strategies that enable them to continue to learn on the job.
- Students will develop an understanding of their audiences and how to best communicate with them.
|Emphasis area courses:||9|
|JOURN 7236||Psychology in Advertising||3|
|JOURN 7248||Media Strategy and Planning||3|
|JOURN 7263||Digital Strategy II||3|
|JOURN 7430||Computer-Assisted Reporting||3|
|JOURN 7432||Advanced Data Journalism||3|
|JOURN 7440||Mapping for Stories and Graphics||2|