Credit for Non-Law Courses (L)

Law students are permitted to take up to a total of six hours of courses for Law School credit in other schools of the University during law school. Please note that because you are listed at "primary degree program-Law" with the University, you will be charged the same per credit hour rate for ANY non-law courses that applies to law courses (NOT the undergraduate or graduate per credit hour rate). This does not apply to students officially enrolled in a dual degree program.

  1. These credits are taken on an Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) basis.  In addition, non-law courses are subject to the following regulations:
    1. The course must be at the graduate level (numbered 7000-9999).
    2. The course must be related to the student's study and future practice of law.
    3. The semester hours of the non-law course will be counted in the student's total number for the semester, and the student may not (without permission) take any more than a combined total of sixteen hours in a regular semester, or seven in a Summer Session.
    4. Students wishing to take a non-law course for law credit MUST request approval of the course in writing prior to enrolling in the course. The request should be given to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and include the following (using a form available in Room 203):
      1. Course name, number and instructor;
      2. Statement of purpose for taking the course as related to (b) above.
      3. Syllabus
    5. Requests for the approval of below 7000-Level non-law courses within the guidelines given above must be referred to the Standards and Readmissions Committee. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs may approve 7000-9999 level courses.
    6. For purposes of calculating GPA, non-law course are treated as S/U courses.
  2. Any petition for law school credit for non-law courses beyond a cumulative maximum total of six hours, shall be initially presented to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.  If the student’s request is declined, the student may then petition the Standards and Readmissions Committee.  If the Committee declines the student’s request, the student can petition the faculty.