MS in Chemical Engineering

Degree Requirements

  • The student's program must include a minimum of 30 hours of graduate credit beyond the bachelor's degree (or its equivalent).
  • At least 3 credits must be in 8000+ level courses, not including special readings, seminar, or research; and no more than 40% of the total can be research-based.
  • The candidate must have completed all graduate work attempted at MU with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
  • Each candidate must pass a final examination to demonstrate mastery of the fundamental principles of Chemical Engineering.
  • Students must present a thesis.
  • Students must be enrolled.
Core Coursework12
CH_ENG 8336Advanced Heat and Momentum Transfer3
CH_ENG 8337Advanced Mass Transfer3
CH_ENG 8451Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics I3
CH_ENG 8463Chemical Reaction Engineering Science3
Elective Coursework9
7000+CH_ENG, other Engineering, Physical, Chemical, or Biological Sciences*>=6
MATH 7000+ or CH_ENG 7226Not undergraduate level content>=3
Additional Requirements9
CH_ENG 8087Seminar in Chemical Engineering1
CH_ENG 8990Research-Masters Thesis in Chemical Engineering8
Total Credit Hours30


Applicants are required to meet two sets of minimum qualifications for admission consideration:  the requirements of the M.S. in Chemical Engineering program and the minimum requirements of the Graduate School. Because requirements vary, you must refer to a degree program’s graduate admission page to learn about specific admission criteria, eligibility and application process.  Before official admissions to the University of Missouri, your application materials will be reviewed by both the Graduate School and the degree program to which you’ve applied.

Application Deadlines

  • Fall Priority Deadline: January 1
  • Fall Deadline: March 15
  • Spring Deadline: October 15

Required Application Materials
Chemical Engineering Program

  • Résumé
  • Transcript
  • Statement of Purpose
  • 3 Letters of Reference
  • GRE scores (School Code: 6875; Dept. Code: 1001)
  • TOEFL (if you are an international student)
  • Any additional documents requested by the Graduate School

Back to Top