PhD in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
A minimum of 72 semester hours are required including the credit hours taken during the MS program. Students who received the MS degree from other than MU may transfer a maximum of 30 hours from their MS degree hours. The 72 hours must include at least 18 hours of coursework at the 8000 level excluding problems and research hours. All research credits on the Plan of Study form must be designated as MAE 9990 – Research.
Plan of Study
The PhD candidate plans a plan of study and research under the immediate supervision of an advisor and in close cooperation with the doctoral program committee approved by the dean of the Graduate School upon the department’s recommendation.
A qualifying examination is given twice each year. Successful completion of this examination is a prerequisite to formal acceptance into the PhD program. Students are allowed two attempts to pass the exam. The first attempt must be made within the student's first year of enrollment. The second attempt, if needed, must be made at the at the next scheduled exam date following the first attempt.
Comprehensive Examination & Dissertation
A comprehensive examination is given after all course work requirements have been satisfied. Upon completion of the plan of study and research a final examination, essentially a defense of the dissertation, is administered.
Admission Contact Information
Application Deadlines for all Applicants
Fall deadline: May 31 (priority deadline Jan 1)
Spring deadline: October 31 (priority deadline Oct 1)
Summer deadline: April 30
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Minimum GRE score: 298 combined score on Verbal and Quantitative sections
- Minimum TOEFL score: 80
- Minimum Academic IELTS Overall score: 6.5
Note: Doctoral degree program applicants are closely and individually reviewed.
How to apply to the MAE doctoral program:
Step 1: All documents should be uploaded directly in Slate: https://gradschool.missouri.edu/admissions/apply/
Step 2: Required documents:
- Unofficial Transcripts (all Universities and Colleges attended) Uploaded in Slate
- TOEFL/IELTS score - sent electronically to the University by ETS (Institution Code 6875 Department Code 1502)
- 3 letters of recommendation (preferably from MS advisor and 2 other letters) - uploaded in Slate by the recommenders. Letters must come from a school e-mail address, not personal accounts (like yahoo, gmail, etc).
- GRE score - sent electronically by ETS (Institution Code 6875 Department Code 1502)
- Statement of Objectives - one page letter telling about yourself and the area you will study if accepted
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Graduate Admissions