PhD in Informatics
The following is a brief synopsis of the general degree requirements; please see the Informatics Institute web site or the Emphasis in Bioinformatics and Emphasis in Health Informatics for complete details:
- Students must take required and area courses
- Students must pass a qualifying examination
- Students must present at least one institutional seminar annually
- Students are required to complete a comprehensive exam, which includes written and oral elements, within a specified time frame
- Students must pass a comprehensive examination at least 7 months before their scheduled defense
- Students must submit and defend a dissertation describing the results of successful and original research in one of the branches of informatics.
- To show research progress, students are expected to be working toward presenting at conferences and publishing in peer-reviewed journals based on their informatics research.
Fall deadline: The deadline for Fall admission is March 1. However, to be considered for departmental and Graduate School fellowships and assistantships, applications should be submitted by January 15th.
- Preferred GPA: 3.3 out of 4.0
- Preferred GRE scores*:
|When did you take the GRE?||Verbal + Quantitative||Analytical|
|Prior to August 1, 2011||1200||3.5-4.0|
|On or After August1, 2011||309||3.5-4.0|
or a preferred GMAT score of 570
- Preferred TOEFL or IELTS scores:
|Internet-based test (iBT)||Paper-based test (PBT)|
|Minimum IELTS Score|
- Sufficient background and training to pursue advanced degree in informatics
All Required Documents
Students are required to send ALL required application materials through the Graduate School on-line application system. To begin your application, please see the ApplyYourself website.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Purpose, which should include a summary of why the applicant is interested in pursuing an advanced informatics degree, a brief description of your previous research experiences, the specific area of informatics you are interested in pursuing, and your future career goals and plans in the informatics field.
- GRE/GMAT scores. Use institution code 6875. The departmental code is not required.
- TOEFL/ELTS scores for international applicants, if required.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or supervisors who can evaluate the applicant’s credentials and potential to become successful in the area of informatics.
- Scanned copies of transcripts from each college and university attended. If accepted, applicants will be required to have official copies of their transcripts sent directly from the institution to the Graduate School.
Applicants are encouraged to submit representative publications in informatics, if available.
Admission Contact Information
MUIDSI Staff (mailto: email@example.com)
241 Naka Hall
Columbia, MO 65211-2060
MU Institute for Data Science and Informatics (MUIDSI) website: https://muidsi.missouri.edu/