Military - Active Duty (Voluntary or Involuntary)

Enrolled students called into active service in the armed forces of the United States prior to the completion of the semester, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, but not including active service for training, shall be eligible for either of the options listed as follows: NOTE: Students must choose either option 1 or 2.

Students taking distance/online classes who reside in states other than Missouri where a conflicting law may require other options than listed below will be given the accommodations required by that law when the student provides documentation of the law’s existence and proof of its applicability to him/her.

Option 1 - Withdrawal from all courses for semester

They may choose to withdraw from all classes. In such cases, a student may request either:

  1. That the official transcript indicate the courses from which he or she has withdrawn, the date of withdrawal and the reason for withdrawal. Students choosing this option will have their tuition and fee charges and their student financial aid eligibility calculated effective with their official withdrawal date.
  2. Or the student may request that all courses for that semester be expunged from the student’s academic record. Students taking this option will receive a complete refund of all educational and incidental fees paid by the student for enrollment for that semester. However, students who have received federal, state or institutionally funded financial aid must return all aid disbursed to them for the semester

NOTE: Students must see their Academic Advising Unit to withdraw and return the form to Office of the University Registrar, 125 Jesse Hall.

Refunds will not be immediately available. Refunds are based on your last method of payment (i.e. credit card, check, etc). Refund checks will be sent to your mailing address unless a forwarding address is left with the University.

Option 2 - Receive Incompletes in all courses for the semester

The student may choose to receive an incomplete in all courses not yet completed for the semester. In that case the following rules apply:

  • The student must complete all course work for the semester to the satisfaction of the instructor(s), and the time a student spends on active military duty shall not be counted against time allowed for the completion of an “Incomplete” grade.
  • I to F policy: Students called to active military duty will be exempted from the one-year automated changes of I to F grades for the term of deployment and the year prior to deployment. In accordance with State statute, students may complete work upon their return from duty or may choose to maintain the I grade. Therefore, I grades for students called to active military duty will remain listed as “I” until a change of grade is submitted by the faculty member, or indefinitely, if so desired by the student.
  • NR to F Policy: Military duty will be exempted from the one-year automated changes of NR to F grades for the term of deployment and the year prior to deployment. In accordance with State statute, students may choose to maintain the NR grade. Therefore, NR grades for students called to active military duty will remain listed as “NR” indefinitely, if so desired by the student.

Upon completion of all course work for the semester, the student may choose either to:

  1. Have the grade earned for the course and have the “Incomplete expunged from his or her official record
  2. Have the “Incomplete” grade remain as the final grade with reason for the “Incomplete” noted on his or her official record

NOTE: No refunds will be given for option 2.

Residential life: Residential life will be contacted and informed of your intent to exit the University. Room, board and social fees will be prorated and applied to your University student account based on the effective date of your official check out from the residence hall or other University accommodations.

Financial Aid: The Office of Student Financial Aid will be informed of your student status and your official withdrawal date and may make adjustments according to federal, State of Missouri and institutional guidelines.

Scholarships: Scholarships may or may not be applicable upon the student’s return to the University. For example, Section 41.948.2, RSMo, provides that if a student has been awarded a scholarship to be used to pursue an academic program in any higher education institution in Missouri and he or she is not able to complete the term for which the scholarship was granted, the student shall be awarded that scholarship at any subsequent academic term provided the student returns to the academic program at the same institution at the beginning of the next academic term after the completion of active military service. If a student has any scholarships or other aid or award, he or she should contact the issuer to determine whether it will be applicable on his or her return and whether he or she will need to satisfy any other conditions.

Office of the University Registrar
125 Jesse Hall
The University of Missouri - Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211
Office: (573) 882-7881
Fax: (573) 884-4530

The Office of the University Registrar will require the following information:

  • A copy of your military orders, as soon as possible
  • Forwarding Address
  • Name, address and phone number of a contact or your representative
  • Your name as it is on MU records
  • MU ID number
  • Which option student wishes to choose for classes

This information may be brought to 125 Jesse Hall or faxed to (573) 884-4530.

Re-admission of previously enrolled students

Undergraduate students who are returning to MU after an absence of at least one semester must complete a request for re-admission for undergraduate studies and return it to the Office of Admissions, 230 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211-1300 or fax to 573-882-7887.
Degree-seeking graduate students who are returning to MU after an absence of at least two semesters must complete a graduate studies re-activation form (PDF) and return it directly to the academic program for approval. Post-baccalaureate (non-degree seeking) graduate students should return the completed form to the Graduate Admissions Office, 210 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211-1160 or fax it to 573-884-5454.

View Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 41 (41.948). This policy is implemented to assure that students called to active duty prior to the end of a term receive fair and just treatment, both financially and academically.

Contact the Office of the University Registrar-Registration for more information at 573-882-7881.