EdD in Educational Leadership
The University of Missouri Educational Doctorate (EdD) Program is a part-time, cohort-based program in Educational Leadership. This professional practice doctorate is designed to enhance the knowledge and competencies of leaders in PK-20+ educational organizations (e.g., colleges and universities, nonprofits, schools and school districts). The emphasis of the EdD Program is on developing effective, thoughtful, and reflective practitioners who are competent in identifying and solving complex problems of practice in educational settings.
The EdD Program is offered 100% online, using a combination of synchronous and asynchronous components. Optional on-campus opportunities (e.g., meetings with faculty, networking events, writing retreats) may be offered during the program based on student interest and availability. All admitted students will be expected to participate in a virtual orientation event in August.
The EdD program requires a minimum of 76 credit hours beyond the baccalaureate degree. The program, offered in a cohort format, includes 54 hours of course work in 9 contiguous semesters, beginning in the Fall semester and concluding in the Summer semester 3 years later.
|ED_LPA 9090||Research in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis||12|
|ED_LPA 9095||Problems in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis||6|
|ED_LPA 9402||Educational Policy Analysis||3|
|ED_LPA 9403||Organizational Analysis||3|
|ED_LPA 9405||Seminar in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis||3|
|ED_LPA 9409||Introduction to Research Design||3|
|ED_LPA 9476||Leadership Theory and Practice||3|
|ED_LPA 9479||Content and Context of Learning||3|
|ED_LPA 9481||Internship in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis||6|
|ED_LPA 9482||Quantitative Tools for Applied Research in Educational Leadership||3|
|ED_LPA 9483||Qualitative Tools for Applied Research in Eductional Leadership||3|
|ED_LPA 9484||Program Evaluation and Planning for Educational Leaders||3|
|ED_LPA 9486||Scholarly Writing||3|
Sample Plan of Study
|ED_LPA 9476||3||ED_LPA 9409||3||ED_LPA 9095||3|
|ED_LPA 9405||3||ED_LPA 9403||3||ED_LPA 9479||3|
|ED_LPA 9402||3||ED_LPA 9483||3||ED_LPA 9486||3|
|ED_LPA 9482||3||ED_LPA 9484||3||ED_LPA 9095||3|
|ED_LPA 9481||6||ED_LPA 9090||6||ED_LPA 9090||6|
|Total Credits: 54|
Note: Although the EdD Program does encompass some of the competencies required to serve as a principal or superintendent, this program is not designed to lead to professional licensure/certification. Individuals interested in the EdD Program who wish to enhance the degree with requirements for certification should contact us to discuss options.
Admission Contact Information
Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis
Admission Guidelines and Minimum Requirements
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Relevant organizational or educational leadership experience.
- We recommend candidates have a minimum of 3 years of full-time professional experience prior to the start of the cohort for which they are applying.
- We define leadership experience broadly so please be sure to share any and all such experiences in your application (e.g., building administrator, team leader, program director, chairing a committee, creating a new program/initiative).
- Evidence of consistency between candidate’s goals and the mission and goals of the EdD program and the ELPA department.
- Evidence of strong communication skills (verbal, written).
- Potential for success in a doctoral program.
- GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) in graduate studies (master’s degree) from an accredited institution.
- For non-native English speakers, minimum scores accepted by the MU Graduate School for TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Cambridge C1 Advanced exams, or Duolingo English Test.
EdD Application Information
We will admit a new cohort every year, with coursework beginning in the Fall semesters. Applications will typically be due April 1. Please check the program website for any potential changes to the admissions requirements, application requirements, and application timelines.
For additional information: https://education.missouri.edu/degree/educational-leadership-edd/
For general questions: